This month we’re totally in love with the British actress Emilia Clarke and her amazing alter-ego, Daenerys Targaryen, the character she plays in Game of Thrones who is stealing the show in the latest season to hit our screens. Fizz is on the case to find out more about Daenerys and Emilia herself.
Why we love Daenerys
This season instead of being the timid, shy girl who was abused by her brother has now learnt to be strong and she is putting all her knowledge into practice. In season six she has landed in a totally new area and in order to survive she has to really step up her game which she does very well! By the end of episode four, we have seen her rise from the flames of fire and we think she is set for victory as the Khaleesi.
It is said that the rules of the Targaryen family either succumb to the family madness, known as the Targaryen Madness or become excellent rules. Daenerys’ character has revealed to be a loyal, kind person without a hint of derangement demonstrating that this season may see her rise to the top and claim her throne as Queen with much support from her supporters and followers. This season Emilia Clarke has said her character is totally in control now! In fact, Glamour Magazine has described Daenerys as the most powerful human on TV!
Daenerys didn’t start out this way though and her character has been on an epic personal journey of discovery where she has had to endure a lot and this has shaped her as a remarkable character, showing the world that anything is possible!
Get Up to Speed on Daenerys’ Character History
As the last remaining of her family of ancient and powerful rulers that were exiled to another continent, Daenerys has known struggle. In order to survive her mother took her son, Viserys and unborn Daenerys to Dragon Stone island to protect them from the wrath of Robert Baratheon who had stolen the throne from her father King Aerys II Targaryen.
After growing up without her mother who died in childbirth as an orphan and sister to a violent and cruel brother, Daenerys had to learn strength. It has taken some time but she is finally becoming the powerful Khaleesi and along with her mother’s three dragons, she seeks to reclaim her throne which she now sees as her birthright. Season six has also seen Daenerys bare in all in some recent nude scenes which stirred up the views as Emilia Clarke is very particular about when her clothes should be off!
Quick Daenerys facts
- She goes by many names: Daenerys Stormborn, Dany, Dragon Lady, Mother of Dragons, Khaleesi and Mhysha.
- Daenerys Stormborn comes from her birth where she born on a night where there were raging storms.
- After becoming Khal Dorgo’s Queen, Daenerys had to eat a horse’s heart to prove herself to the wisewomen of the kingdom.
- Mother of Dragons come from Daenerys emergence from flames that were meant to kill her with three hatched dragons and not a mark on her.
Emilia Clarke: The Woman
Emilia Clarke recently revealed to Variety Magazine that she performed a very strange audition to land her part as Daenerys on Game of Thrones. She claimed she did “The Chicken Dance” and we guess even if it was silly, it got her noticed because here she is, six seasons later.
She’s originally from quaint little England as the daughter of a businesswoman mother and theater sound engineer father. As a kid, felt like she didn’t fit in with the popular crowds but now after playing Daenerys for six seasons who is also described as The Mother of Dragons, has said she is growing out of her insecurities. We love her because she’s strong and confident, even if she has had to work at it!
Acting is all she ever wanted to do but she is also an accomplished musician and singer and has said that if she weren’t an actress she would like to be a singer. As an actress though, her dream would be to star as a random extra on her favorite TV show, Girls.
16 Emilia Facts
- She was named, Sexiest Woman Alive by Esquire Magazine in 2015
- She’s been nominated for two Emmys
- She won the role of Daenerys by the skin of her teeth because it was originally meant to go to Tamzin Merchant.
- Emilia hardly ever gets recognized because Daenerys her most famous character is blond and Emilia is a brunette.
- After the discovery of a new sea slug, scientists named it after Daenerys calling the new species, Tritonia Khaleesi.
- Khaleesi means queen in the Dothkari language
- She turned down the role of Anastasia Steel in 50 Shades of Gray because of the nudity scenes.
- She made her Broadway debut in Breakfast at Tiffany’s in 2013.
- Before making it as an actress, Emilia worked in telesales upselling charities. She said it was the most soul destroying job in the world and left after four shifts.
- She also worked 5 jobs while she was a student and had to call in sick to her catering job to make it to GoT audition.
- Emilia caught the acting bug at the age of three after seeing the musical Show Boat and deciding she wanted to become an actress.
- At school, she got bullied because of her eyebrows because her mum wouldn’t let her pluck them, of which she now very grateful
- Her first TV role was on the British daytime soap, Doctors.
- She went to the same drama school as Colin Firth
- Emilia is a skilled dancer and is proficient in many styles including ballet, ballroom, blues and jazz styles
- She’s fluent in French
What’s On the cards for Emilia?
Well aside from playing one of the most powerful female characters of all time, she’s also promoting a new movie, Me Before You in which she stars alongside, Sam Clafin(The Hunger Games). It’s a tearjerker and a far cry away from the fantastic fantasy of GoT but Emilia feels she has finally landed a role where she expresses a character closer to her own personality.